The Old Railroad Bridge over the Tennessee River is looking to build upon the remarkable momentum established with the successful transformation of the abandoned railroad bridge into the great asset it has become today. Since it opened to the public as a pedestrian walkway in 1994, the Old Railroad Bridge has exceeded all expectations, attracting thousands of visitors and stimulating the economic revitalization in the Cities of Sheffield and Florence and the Tennessee River Valley.
Our nonprofit organization wants to harness this momentum by seeking funding to improve the bridge in numerous ways to ensure that visitors, tourists and recreational users will want to return over and over again. This, we believe, is the key to the Bridge’s future sustainability and its ability to serve the region as an engine for economic revitalization. We have identified several key projects that, when finished, will vastly enhance the Bridge by improving visitor comfort, creating new and improved access points, and building a compelling new place where visitors can gather and learn.
We’re looking for the next generation of visionaries to support this next critical phase of the Old Railroad Bridge’s development. We’re looking for Stewards of the Bridge, people who recognize that the Bridge still has a long way to go before we realize its full potential. A Steward of the Bridge leadership gift will stand as a permanent symbol of support for Alabama’s oldest bridge site, and its lasting legacy to the people of the Shoals Area and the Tennessee Valley.
Steward of the Bridge Recognition Levels
- $100 + One honorary share of stock in the Old Railroad Bridge Co., Inc., name will be placed on a bronze plaque (see Shareholders page). Additionally, a stock certificate suitable for framing will be issued.
- $500 + The benefits of the above level plus a display recognition ad on the front page of the ORBC website for a year. This would also include a business ad display if donation is from business.
- $1000 + All the benefits of the above levels, plus will include being named as a primary sponsor for the Handy Festival Blues on the Bridge. A sign recognizing the donation will be prominently displayed at all events during the calender year of the donation.
- $2500 + All the benefits of the above levels, plus having you name or business name on the back of The Old Railroad Bridge Tee Shirts that will be sold or given away for a year from the date of donation.
- $5000 – $9,999 — All of the benefits above and the donor will be recognized with a stainless steel plaque on a distinctive wood or metal bench placed on the Bridge. (Several donors will be recognized on the same bench). These donors will be prominently displayed on our website.
- $10,000 – $24,999 – All of the benefits up through the $2500, plus a bronze medallion engraved with the name of the donor will be installed on the concrete wall adjacent to the entrance of the Bridge and a front page
- $50,000 + All of the benefits up through the $2500, plus Sole honorarium naming rights to a wood or metal bench placed on the Walkway, with a stainless steel front nameplate and donor’s name permanently embedded on each end of the bench
- $100,000 + All of the benefits up through the $2500, plus Sole honorarium naming rights to a set of stairs leading from the upper level to the lower level of the bridge.
- $250,000 + All of the benefits up through the $2500, plus Sole honorarium naming rights to a Covered Picnic Pavilion on the upper level.
- $500,000 + All of the benefits up through the $2500, plus Sole honorarium naming rights to the connection and viewing platform on Patton Island from the Bridge, a granite marker recognizing honoring the donor will be place on the view platform (This will be for one donor or one combined group of donors only)
- $500,000 + All of the benefits up through the $2500, plus Sole honorarium naming rights to a permanent interpretation center with rest rooms on the upper level
- $1,000,000 + All of the benefits up through the $2500, plus Sole honorarium naming rights to the Bridge’s Pedestrian walkway on the lower level. (ie. The Acme Building Corporation’s Pedestrian Walkway)
NOW ACCEPTING DONATIONS VIA PAYPAL
Please call James Bedsole, 256.383.5275 for more information about these and other exciting ways to give.